Less than carload
From Supply Chain Management Encyclopedia
Russian: Мелкая отправка
Basic Terms and Definitions
Less than carload or Small dispatch - shipment from 20 kg to 20 tonnes, which is not required to provide a single wagon or container. By volume small dispatch should be no more than half of the capacity of the covered wagon and half container. Small dispatches transported in a covered and on the open rolling stock. Weight of one piece of small dispatch shall be:
- For goods carried in the covered wagon, no less than 20 kg but not exceeding 1,500 kg;
- For goods transported onto the open rolling stock, more than 1,500 kg;
- For cargo transported in large containers, the mass of a single location should be less than 1500 kg;
- For goods transported in containers, medium, weight of one piece must be less than or equal to 1,000 kg.
There are restrictions on the length of the cargo transported as a small dispatch: when transported in boxcars length of the package must not exceed 2 m. In connection with the restructuring of the economy of Russia, the demand in the transportation of small shipments remains at a fairly high level. However, a significant part of small shipments transported by road. Rail transport is losing a significant part of the income. Less than carload shipments are high-loads mostly.
Key Issues for Improving Transport of Less than Carload Shipments
- Packetization of small shipments
- Switching of the small shipments to special post-luggage trains
- Organization groupage containers to the provision of a certain volume of container to the client and the loading of the container by the shipper
- ↑ Правила перевозок грузов мелкими отправками на железнодорожном транспорте утверждены приказом МПС России от 29 марта 1999 г. N 11Ц